Take matters into your own hands and ensure that blade sharpness will be completely restored with the help of a quality knife sharpening steel. Not only do these sharpening tools provide a simple yet effective method to restore blade sharpness but they come at fairly low prices when compared to electric knife sharpeners, for example.
Of course, you have to take into account the fact that full manual work is required when sharpening with such a tool, so if you’re the lazy type of person, you definitely have to check out other sharpening systems available on the market. If you are truly interested in purchasing a knife sharpening steel, we recommend that you check out the rest of the article to find out what are the top choices to go with.
- Top 5 Knife Sharpening Steels
- Top Rated 2017 Knife Sharpening Steels Reviews
- How to Use the Honing Steel
Top 5 Knife Sharpening Steels
Top Rated 2017 Knife Sharpening Steels Reviews
The reason why the Wusthof 4483 ranks as the best knife sharpening steel in our top is because it is one of the most durable products on its market. Not only is it durable due to its superior quality diamond-coated steel construction, but the sharpener is easy and safe to use as well. What makes it so convenient to work with is the fact that the tool features a comfortable slip-resistant handle that is made with plastic. Additionally, the handle features a neat loop on the end, this loop coming in handy when you want to store the steel in your reach by hanging it. All of these elements combined with the generous lifetime warranty offered by Wusthof make it the best choice on the market by far. Therefore, don’t cheap out and invest in a steel that you will use your entire life to restore dull blades back to their former shape.
- Diamond-coated steel shaft
- Slip-resistant handle
- Handle loop allows easy hanging
Our Ratings: 5.0 / 5.0
Customer Ratings: 4.5 / 5.0
Wusthof makes yet another appearance in our top, this time due to the Wusthof 4473 model. Just like the 4483 model that we previously talked about, it’s made with materials of the best possible quality, so durability is ensured if you purchase and use it. The loop that it features on the end of the handle comes in handy when you want to store the sharpening tool, allowing you to safely hang it. For convenience and ease of use, it features a slip-resistant plastic handle that guarantees your arms won’t get tired when sharpening dull blades with it. Another highlight of this product is the fact that the construction that it boasts easily attracts metal fibers to ensure a smooth operation. Also, we can’t end the review without mentioning the fact that it’s accompanied by a lifetime warranty.
- Easily attracts metal fibers
- Slip-resistant handle design
- Hanging made easy by handle loop
Our Ratings: 4.9 / 5.0
Customer Ratings: 4.6 / 5.0
Utopia Kitchen UK0130
Utopia Kitchen really took the market by surprise when it released the UK0130, a sharpening steel that is hard to surpass as it boasts a convenient and easy use. Of course, as expected from a high-end tool of this kind, it is made with the best materials out there, more precisely carbon steel that is plated with nickel-chrome. Due to the fact that it features a very fine surface, this rod doesn’t endanger the blade at all when you use it to restore the blade’s sharpness. The ergonomic handle that it features allows a convenient use, while the slip-resistant bottom ensures safety. It’s easy to clean, only requiring for you to wipe it with a non-woven cloth that is soaked in cooking oil. When it comes to warranty, the rod is backed up by the manufacturer during the first year after you purchase it.
- Can be used for sharpening all types of knives
- Ergonomic and slip-resistant handle
- Handle features a hanging loop
Brand: Utopia Kitchen
Our Ratings: 4.7 / 5.0
Customer Ratings: 4.8 / 5.0
Wiitek might not be one of the most renowned manufacturers on the market, but it’s a soon to be famous company if it continues to design and produce high-end products such as the Wiitek T0826D knife sharpening steel. The biggest highlight of this rod is by far its construction as it is made with stainless steel and it is electroplated with diamond. The oval shape that it boasts ensures a higher efficiency when working with it, guaranteeing that you will repair dull blades in no time with it. It features a stainless steel ring that plays an important role design-wise as it ensures safety in use and it allows you to easily store the tool once you’re done using it. In addition, the manufacturer backs the T0826D for two years, so you don’t have to worry about replacement costs during this period of time.
- High efficiency ensured by the oval shape
- Ergnomic handle design
- Stainless steel ring ensures safety
Our Ratings: 4.5 / 5.0
Customer Ratings: 4.4 / 5.0
The last product on our list is the Victorinox 6.8002.US1, a tool that you won’t regret investing in after the first time you use it. The efficiency and high durability of this rod are what recommend it to anyone who is looking for a way to restore blade sharpness to dull knives. Due to the fact that it’s made with stainless steel that is chrome plated, you won’t have to worry about stains or that it might break easily. The looped end that it features allows an easy hanging. Another highlight of this sharpening tool is the fact that it features a fibrox handle that is not only slip-resistant, but that ensures comfort in use due to its ergonomic design. In addition, it is backed up by a lifetime warranty, so you don’t ever have to worry that it might cost you a cent to replace it in case anything does happen to it.
- The construction makes it stain resistant
- Slip-resistant and ergonomic design
- Looped end allows easy hanging
Our Ratings: 4.4 / 5.0
Customer Ratings: 4.6 / 5.0
How to Use the Honing Steel
Knife sharpening steels or honing steels are usually included in quality kitchen knife sets due to the fact that they’re key components of the maintenance routine of the knives. In this section of the article, we will teach you how to use the steel properly in order to keep your knives sharp and perfect for use, prolonging their lifespan by doing so.
- Step #1 – First off, you must position the steel perfectly. What you should do is to place the steel’s tip on a cutting board and hold it in a vertical position firmly in your hand.
- Step #2 – Place the bottom of the knife’s edge against the steel, positioning it at a 22-degree angle. If you want to produce a sharper edge, adjust the steel to a lower angle. In case you care about durability more than sharpness, position it at a higher angle.
- Step #3 – Run the knife down the steel, pulling it down and towards yourself until the tip reaches the bottom of the steel. Keep this angle as you continue to sharpen, pulling your hand from the steel slowly to evenly hone from the base to the tip of the blade.
- Step #4 – Flip the knife on the other side and repeat the procedure explained in the third step for this side of the blade as well.
- Step #5 – Repeat the honing procedure at least 3 times on each side, and check to see if the blade is sharp enough. In case it hasn’t reached the desired level of sharpness, hone it until it’s as sharp as you desire.
- Step #6 – When you’re done, clean the blade of the knife by wiping it with a cloth or a paper towel, preventing metal filings from contaminating your food by doing so.