Without a doubt, the blade is the most important part of a knife. As knives which feature ceramic blades are gaining more popularity than ever these days, it is time to take a closer look at what the market has to offer and what makes these models be of a superior quality. Therefore, if you are a true knife enthusiast and you want to make sure you are using only quality tools when you are in the kitchen, check out the rest of this article to learn what are the top rated ceramic material knives of 2018.
- Top 5 Ceramic Knives Comparison
- Ceramic Blade Knife Reviews
- Is It an Investment Worth Making?
- Ceramic Material Knife Care and Maintenance Advice
- Ceramic Cutlery Uses
- Price Range – How Much You Should Expect to Pay
- Trustworthy Brands to Purchase Zirconium Dioxide Cutlery From
- Rating Ceramic Cutlery – How We Proceeded
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Ceramic Knives Comparison
Ceramic Blade Knife Reviews
Kyocera FK-180 BK
The unmatched sharpness of the blade and the well thought design of the Kyocera FK-180 BK is what recommends it as being the best ceramic material knife on the market. What will surely pop out first when looking at it is the stunning appearance, the black blade making it hard for any serious chef to resist purchasing it. This top ties knife features a 7-inch long blade which is ideal for activities like mincing, dicing, and chopping. What makes it so great is the excellent sharpness retention and the fact that it is made with the innovative zirconia Z206 ceramic. Although this cutlery requires to be manually washed after each use, you will be glad to know that this task won’t be a difficult one at all, a quick rinse sufficing. Due to the ergonomic handle it comes with, you won’t feel fatigue during use. Best of all, the quality construction of the blade ensures it won’t ever rust.
|Amazing sharpness retention|
|Impervious to acids, oils, juices, and more|
|The blade won’t ever develop an unpleasant smell|
|Made with zirconia Z206|
Shan Zu SZCK009
Shan Zu might not be a household name yet, but this manufacturer will surely become more renowned due to the fact that it is responsible for the high-quality SZCK009 knife. To better understand how great the quality of this cutlery is, know that it is made of refined zirconium oxide. The construction of the blade guarantees it will pass the test of time, not using as the years pass. Also, it will remain odor free and it won’t be damaged by acids, oils, or juices. This model measures a total 12.7 inches, the blade measuring a total of 8 inches. The ergonomic design of the handle makes it highly convenient for you to use it as you surely won’t get tired even after slicing, dicing, and mincing a hefty load of vegetables. In addition, the non-slip material used in the handle’s manufacturing guarantees that no unpleasant incidents will occur while using it.
|Non-slip material used for the handle|
|Generous overall length of 12.7 inches|
|Made with refined zirconium oxide|
|Does not rust|
Vos Ceramic 8-Inch Chef Knife
The dense blade which features few pores on this top of the line ceramic blade knife is what makes it a perfect addition to the kitchen of any aspiring chef. Due to the quality construction of the knife’s blade, it will not only accumulate little dirt but it will be incredibly easy to clean as well, all that it requires being a quick rinse. The advanced ceramic it features guarantees it won’t brown foods, retain smells, or rust. It is incredibly sharp and it retains this sharpness for up to 10 times longer than classic knives do, meaning that you won’t need to sharpen it too often. When it comes to comfort in use, you will be glad to know that the lightweight body combines with the ergonomic design of the handle make it easy to work with. Also, the high-end handle offers a controlled grip which guarantees you won’t produce any mistakes when dicing, chopping, or mincing with it.
|Maintains its sharpness 10 times longer than steel knives do|
|Does not brown foods|
|Does not retain unpleasant odors|
Kyocera FK-140 WH
The FK-140 WH is the second entry in our top that comes from Kyocera, a worldwide renowned manufacturer of ceramic cutlery. The quality of this cutlery can be best understood by looking at the length of the warranty, the product actually being backed up for a lifetime. Just like the model which ranked number one in our top, this knife is made with the innovative zirconia Z206, a ceramic formula that offers a stronger and denser blade which is capable of effortlessly cutting all vegetables and fruits. In addition to offering clean and precise cuts, the blade never rusts, it does not retain odors, and it is impervious to acids and juices. Also, when it comes to cleaning it, you can get rid of this chore by simply rinsing it off with water. Another aspect that makes it an even more appealing choice to go with is the ergonomically designed handle because it ensures your hands won’t get tired easily when using it.
|Does not rust|
|Made with zirconia Z206|
|Impervious to oils, acids, juices, etc.|
|The blade does not retain odors|
SUZARU 8-Inch Professional
As the name suggests it, the blade of this knife measures no less than 8 inches in length, allowing you to finish any cooking task fast and with ease. The ergonomic design of its handle is going to make it a pleasure for you to cut, dice, and mince all of your favorite fruits and vegetables with it. The blade of this knife does not only feature a stylish design due to the black color, but it is made with quality in mind, being germ resistant and BPA free. Also, due to the fact that it does not retain unpleasant odors, you won’t have to change the knife after you cut onions in case you want to slice some fruits. To make it even more tempting for customers to purchase this model, the manufacturer actually offers a full set when buying it. This set includes a protective sheath, a gift box, a user manual, and a cleaning microfiber cloth.
|Stylish black colored blade|
|BPA free and germ resistant blade|
|Won’t retain unpleasant odors|
|Comes with a protective sheath, a gift box, a user manual, and a cleaning microfiber cloth|
Is It an Investment Worth Making?
Great results in the kitchen only come when the right tools are used, your talent alone not sufficing to prepare the perfect meals. Seeing how knives are among the most used kitchen tools, it is obvious that you cannot afford to use just any type of knife, but one which provides the perfect sharpness to dice, cut, mince, and slice the vegetables, meat, and fruits fast. Ceramic knives are very hyped lately because of their superiority, but if you are not well informed about the benefits they offer, you probably do not understand why these tools are so popular right now. To help you better understand why ceramic cutlery is an investment worth making, we have listed the benefits that come with having them at your disposal in the kitchen:
- If you are obsessed with having perfect looking cutlery and you pay attention to every detail, you will be glad to find out that these knives do not stain. Therefore, after a couple of months or even years of using them, they won’t look dirty, preserving their out-of-the-box appearance. This is something that cannot be said about steel knives, a fact that you are probably already aware of.
- Undoubtedly, the most important advantage which comes with buying this type of cutlery is the fact that it won’t require sharpening too often. Again, this is a benefit you won’t enjoy with other types of knives as they get dull fast. Generally, a ceramic blade will retain a perfect sharpness of the edge about 10 times longer than a steel blade will.
- Another great benefit of using this cutlery is the fact that it has an extremely thin blade. This will allow you to cut thin slices of fruits and vegetables whenever it is needed, all without having to put too much effort into the task.
- When slicing certain fruits and vegetables with steel knives, you will notice that their oxidation process is rushed, thus meaning they rot faster. This is not the case with ceramic models because unlike steel blades, they do not transfer ions from the surface of the blade to the fruits or vegetables, thus not affecting the oxidation process.
- Of course, we cannot end our list of reasons why this is an investment worth making without mentioning the fact that this type of cutlery is non-porous. This is an important advantage because it shows bacteria won’t be present on the blade no matter what you cut with the knife as long as you clean it when you are done using it.
Of course, we cannot pretend like everything is perfect because these knives have their set of flaws as well. Due to the fact that we want for you to be satisfied with the investment you make, we are going to walk you through the downsides as well:
- Unfortunately, due to the fact that ceramic is a brittle material, if you are not careful when you use the tool, the blade might break.
- Another notable downside is the fact that you will have a harder time finding a sharpener which is able to restore the razor sharpness of the ceramic blade. Nonetheless, it is not impossible to find this type of product, the Shenzhen Knives SZSHARP being an ideal electric knife sharpener to use for this task, for example.
- The final disadvantage of ceramic cutlery is the fact that it cannot be used to cut through meat with bones or frozen food. If you do this, you might end up breaking the blade.
Our advice is for you to take your chance and invest in a top tier model like the Kyocera FK-180 BK or any other product in our top because they are very sharp, safe to use, they look great, and they will resist perfectly throughout the years.
Ceramic Material Knife Care and Maintenance Advice
Although these knives are highly durable and they preserve their sharpness longer when compared to metal knives, this does not mean that there is no maintenance work with them. Seeing how they are a considerable investment if you do buy this cutlery and you purchase high-end products, it is important for you to know more about their care and maintenance rituals. Therefore, if you want to learn how to care for a ceramic blade knife and keep it in the best shape possible for a long time.
Proper Storing of the Knives
How to Sharpen a Dull Blade
General Care Tips
If you have already explored the ceramic knife market, what you have probably noticed is that a big part of these cutlery come with plastic blade guards or plastic sleeves. These items come with the knives because if the blades are not protected when they are stored in the utensils drawer, they might enter into contact with metal knives and their blades could chip. Of course, the classic wooden block works just as well when it comes to keeping the blades isolated from items which might damage them, so there are enough options for you to choose from when it comes to the proper storage of ceramic cutlery.
The blades of zirconia knives might keep their sharpness 10 times longer than those of metal knives, but this does not mean that their razor sharpness is preserved forever without your intervention. When you do notice the blade starts to lose its quality, the time comes for you to sharpen them. Because of the hardness of the ceramic material, it is a bit harder to restore their sharpness, but it is not impossible. The classic method you can turn to is to use a honing steel and manually sharpen the blades. If you like the more modern approach, search for an electric knife sharpener which is compatible with ceramic cutlery. Using an electric sharpener means that you will be done with the task in less time and with a lot less effort put into the process.
When it comes to how you should care for these knives, you are in luck as they are not very pretentious. Ceramic blade knives, just like all knives out there, require being washed after you use them. Although some models are dishwasher safe, we still recommend you wash them by hand using dish detergent and warm water as this method does not subject the blade to any danger of breaking.
Another care tip you must follow when using ceramic cutlery is to never cut your food with them on any other surface except for bamboo cutting boards. The soft texture of the bamboo boards will keep the blades of the knives better protected, preventing chipping from occurring. Also, there is another reasoning behind why you should use bamboo boards, more precisely because they do not preserve bacteria, thus meaning that your food does not get cross-contaminated when you chop, dice, mince, or cut it.
Ceramic Cutlery Uses
To use the ceramic knife to its fullest extent, you must know for what type of use the cutlery is actually designed. Thus, we have listed below the tasks where you can use this high-end kitchen tool:
- Fine slicing of cheese;
- Fine slicing of meat;
- Fine vegetable chopping;
- Preparation of sushi and sashimi;
- Slicing, cutting, and chopping lime, lemons, and other highly acidic foods;
- Slicing, cutting, dicing, chopping, and mincing various foods without having to wash the knife’s blade when switching from one type of food to another.
As you can see, there are many uses to take up with ceramic cutlery, so there is no denying the fact that having the knife in your kitchen is a great advantage. Next, we will present exactly how the cutlery serves when it comes to home use and how it comes in handy when it is in the hands of a professional chef.
- Home use – Undeniably, the ceramic blade knife is a great choice when it comes to performing regular cooking in the kitchen. Although it has its downsides, not being recommended for cutting through bones or other tasks of this kind, it is necessary nonetheless as it presents a more convenient, safe, and healthy method of dealing with fine slicing of fruits, vegetables, and meat. Additionally, due to the fact that it does not preserve the odors and bacteria on the blade after using it, you won’t lose a lot of time washing it when you are cooking. Also, it means that you won’t have to switch between different knives either as a single ceramic one suffices for almost everything that needs to be done in the kitchen.
- Professional use – What professional chefs appreciate about ceramic cutlery is their longevity and versatility in use. When it comes to the longevity aspect, considering the fact that the knife does not rust, it means that it does not need to be replaced. Also, the superior sharpness retention of the blade ensures the chef won’t have to resharpen the knife too often, regardless of how often it is used. When talking about the versatility of the cutlery, what chefs appreciate the most is the fact that they can switch from slicing a lime directly to slicing meat, for example, all without having to waste time washing the knife or change it with another one. This helps save a lot of time in the kitchen, time that can be used by a professional to prepare a dish to perfection.
Price Range – How Much You Should Expect to Pay
While the quality of a knife is what you must focus on first and foremost if you want to make a long-term investment which will help make your life easier, you still have to take into consideration another important element – the pricing of the product. If ceramic cutlery is what you are interested in and you want to replace your stainless steel knives with ceramic ones, what you should be aware of beforehand is the fact that pricing varies depending on item quality. Seeing how you will need to purchase more than one single knife, it is important to ensure your budget allows the investment.
Generally speaking when referring to pricing, a ceramic material knife can cost from $15 to $100, some models being cheaper, while others are more expensive. Unsurprisingly, the Kyocera FK-180 BK, our pick for the best ceramic cutlery piece on the market right now, comes at a spicier price than its competitors. However, considering its rust resistance, convenient and easy use, ergonomic grip handle, and generous warranty, its pricing does not come as a surprise in the slightest. After all, you cannot expect to receive perfection without giving something substantial in exchange.
Trustworthy Brands to Purchase Zirconium Dioxide Cutlery From
People are more inclined to buy a product which is manufactured by a certain brand if that brand is renowned for its seriousness and dedication. This is an understandable attitude and one that everyone should have as the truth is that certain brands do indeed deliver higher quality products than others. To find out what are these reliable brands to purchase from when it comes to ceramic cutlery, read the following lines.
Kyocera is a brand you have undoubtedly already heard of as it has been around for over 80 years, producing excellent quality electronics and ceramics since it started activating. With this generous background, it is more than clear that the brand has peaked and maintained the interest of customers in order to activate at a high level for all of these years. The ceramics it produces, including knives, of course, are of a superior quality, providing dependability and durability to those who invest in them. As long as you stick to buying from such a respectable and trusted manufacturer, you are ensured to invest your money wisely.
Shan Zu is most probably a company you have not heard about yet as it has started activated in 2016. Despite the fact that age is not on this company’s side, this does not take away from the manufacturer’s merits when it comes to the products which it has managed to release up to this point on the market. What amazes about this brand is the fact that it got a head start despite its incredibly young age due to the fact that it designed and manufactured one of the best quality ceramic blade knives out there, the Shan Zu SZCK009. If the company manages to put just as much seriousness and hard work into all of the products it releases from now on, not much time will pass until it becomes a household name.
Vos Knife is a brand that has managed to reach the top of the market fast and stay there through pure hard work and passion. The attention to detail and the fact that the company focuses on delivering durable products is what made it gain a massive success. Another reason why this brand is doing a lot better than its competitors is the fact that it does not shy away from diversity, designing and manufacturing a wide range of ceramic cutlery, each of them coming with their own set of uses and advantages. This versatility is what keeps customers loyal to the brand and what makes the company an immense success of the zirconia knife market.
Rating Ceramic Cutlery – How We Proceeded
Wonder what makes each of these products top tier? Find out what determined us to rank these 5 ceramic knives as being the best in their niche and get an in-depth look at what a quality cutlery should boast by analyzing the table below. Here, we will list and explain our ratings, so without further ado, let us move on to see what are the important elements to look into.
|Rating Criteria||How It Affects Knife Quality||Product to Receive Most Points|
|Handle Design||The material that the handle is composed of as well as its overall design is crucial to how easily you will be able to handle the cutlery, and how comfortable it will feel when the cooking chores stack up and you must chop or dice continuously. The best possible option is for the handle to boast an ergonomic design – it will enable you to work without feeling discomfort or fatigue at any point.||Kyocera FK-180 BK, Shan Zu SZCK009, SUZARU 8-Inch Professional|
|Blade Length||The length of the blade weighs a lot when it comes to the tasks the cutlery piece allows you to perform. Thus, we cannot say that a shorter blade length is bad, for example, as it does come in handy when handling minor chopping or dicing tasks. However, for the cutlery piece to be usable in as many situations as possible, the ideal blade length should range from 7 to 8 inches.||Kyocera KF-180 BK, Shan Zu SZCK009, Vos Ceramic 8-Inch Chef Knife, SUZARU 8-Inch Professional|
|Blade Material||Obviously, the exact material the blade is made from has a major impact of the overall quality of the cutlery as it shows how resistant it will be, as well as for how long it will retain its sharpness. Seeing how we are dealing with ceramic cutlery, blade quality is not an actual issue, but there are a few differences in material which put certain products above others.||Kyocera FK-180 BK, Kyocera FK-140 WH|
|Lightweight Design||For you to easily handle any cooking task thrown your way where you must use a knife, it is important for the cutlery piece to feel comfortable in your hands and to allow you to easily maneuver it. For this, an overall lightweight design is mandatory as it allows ease of use.||Kyocera FK-140 WH|
|Warranty||A quality product is always backed by a generous, lengthy warranty. This being said, it is more than obvious that we were obliged to give a higher rating to the cutlery pieces which came with lengthier warranties as this is a clear indicator of a quality product in which the manufacturer trusts.||Kyocera FK-180 BK, Kyocera FK-140 WH|