Without a doubt, the blade is the most important part of a knife. As knives that feature ceramic blades are gaining more popularity than ever these days, it’s time to take a closer look at what the market has to offer and what makes these models be of such a superior quality. Therefore, if you’re a true knife enthusiast and you want to make sure that you’re using only quality tools when you’re in the kitchen, check out the rest of this article to learn what are the top rated ceramic knives of 2018.
- Top 5 Ceramic Knives Comparison
- Top Rated 2018 Ceramic Knives Reviews
- Is It an Investment Worth Making?
- Care and Maintenance Advice
- Ceramic Cutlery Uses
- Best Brands on the Market
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 5 Ceramic Knives Comparison
Top Rated 2018 Ceramic Knives Reviews
Kyocera FK-180 BK
The unmatchable sharpness of the blade and the well thought design of the Kyocera FK-180 BK is what recommends it as being the best ceramic knife on the market. What will surely pop out first when looking at it is the stunning appearance, the black blade making it hard for any serious chef to resist purchasing it. This top ties knife features a 7-inch long blade that is ideal for activities such as mincing, dicing, and chopping. What makes it so great is the excellent sharpness retention and the fact that it’s made with the innovative zirconia Z206 ceramic. Although this cutlery requires to be manually washed after each use, you will be glad to know that this task won’t be a difficult one at all, a quick rinse sufficing. Due to the ergonomic handle that it comes with, you won’t feel fatigue during use. Best of all, the quality construction of the blade ensures that it won’t ever rust.
|Amazing sharpness retention|
|Impervious to acids, oils, juices, and more|
|The blade won’t ever develop an unpleasant smell|
|Made with zirconia Z206|
Shan Zu SZCK009
Shan Zu might not be a household name yet, but this manufacturer will surely become more renowned due to the fact that it is responsible for the high-quality SZCK009 knife. To better understand how great the quality of this cutlery is, know that it is made of refined zirconium oxide. The construction of the blade guarantees that it will pass the test of time, not using as the years pass. Also, it will remain odor free and it won’t be damaged by acids, oils, or juices. This model measures a total 12.7 inches, the blade measuring a total of 8 inches. The ergonomic design of the handle makes it highly convenient for you to use it as you surely won’t get tired even after slicing, dicing, and mincing a hefty load of vegetables. In addition, the non-slip material used in the handle’s manufacturing guarantees that no unpleasant incidents will occur while using it.
|Non-slip material used for the handle|
|Generous overall length of 12.7 inches|
|Made with refined zirconium oxide|
Vos Ceramic 8-Inch Chef Knife
The dense blade that features few pores on this top of the line ceramic knife is what makes it such a perfect addition to the kitchen of any aspiring chef. Due to the quality construction of the knife’s blade, it will not only accumulate little dirt but it will be incredibly easy to clean as well, all that it requires being a quick rinse. The advanced ceramic that it features guarantees that it won’t brown foods, retain smells, or rust. It’s incredibly sharp and it retains this sharpness for up to 10 times longer than classic knives do, meaning that you won’t need to sharpen it too often. When it comes to comfort in use, you will be glad to know that the lightweight body combines with the ergonomic design of the handle make it easy to work with. Also, the high-end handle offers a controlled grip that guarantees you won’t produce any mistakes when dicing, chopping, or mincing with it.
|Maintains its sharpness 10 times longer than steel knives do|
|Doesn’t brown foods|
|Doesn’t retain unpleasant odors|
Kyocera FK-140 WH
The FK-140 WH is the second entry in our top that comes from Kyocera, a worldwide renowned manufacturer of ceramic cutlery. The quality of this cutlery can be best understood by looking at the length of the warranty, the product actually being backed up for a lifetime. Just like the model that ranked number one in our top, this knife is made with the innovative zirconia Z206, a ceramic formula that offers a stronger and denser blade that is capable of effortlessly cutting all vegetables and fruits. In addition to offering clean and precise cuts, the blade never rusts, it doesn’t retain odors, and it is impervious to acids and juices. Also, when it comes to cleaning it, you can get rid of this chore by simply rinsing it off with water. Another aspect that makes it an even more appealing choice to go with is the ergonomically designed handle because it ensures your hands won’t get tired easily when using it.
|Made with zirconia Z206|
|Impervious to oils, acids, juices, etc.|
|The blade doesn’t retain odors|
SUZARU 8-Inch Professional
As the name suggests it, the blade of this knife measures no less than 8 inches in length, allowing you to finish any cooking task fast and with ease. The ergonomic design of its handle is going to make it a pleasure for you to cut, dice, and mince all of your favorite fruits and vegetables with it. The blade of this knife doesn’t only feature a stylish design due to the black color, but it is made with quality in mind, being germ resistant and BPA free. Also, due to the fact that it doesn’t retain unpleasant odors, you won’t have to change the knife after you cut onions in case you want to slice some fruits. To make it even more tempting for customers to purchase this model, the manufacturer actually offers a full set when buying it. This set includes a protective sheath, a gift box, a user manual, and a cleaning microfiber cloth.
|Stylish black colored blade|
|BPA free and germ resistant blade|
|Won’t retain unpleasant odors|
|Comes with a protective sheath, a gift box, a user manual, and a cleaning microfiber cloth|
Is It an Investment Worth Making?
Great results in the kitchen only come when the right tools are used, your talent alone not sufficing to prepare the perfect meals. Seeing how knives are among the most used kitchen tools, it’s obvious that you can’t afford to use just any type of knife, but one that provides the perfect sharpness to dice, cut, mince, and slice the vegetables, meat, and fruits fast. Ceramic knives are very hyped lately because of their superiority, but if you’re not well informed about the benefits that they offer, you probably don’t understand why these tools are so popular right now. To help you better understand why ceramic cutlery is an investment worth making, we have listed the benefits that come with having them at your disposal in the kitchen:
- If you’re obsessed with having perfect looking cutlery and you pay attention to every detail, you will be glad to find out that these knives don’t stain. Therefore, after a couple of months or even years of using them, they won’t look dirty, preserving their out-of-the-box appearance. This is something that can’t be said about steel knives, a fact that you’re probably already aware of.
- Undoubtebly, the most important advantage that comes with buying this type of cutlery is the fact that it won’t require sharpening too often. Again, this is a benefit that you won’t enjoy with other types of knives as they get dull fast. Generally, a ceramic blade will retain a perfect sharpness of the edge about 10 times longer than a steel blade will.
- Another great benefit of using this cutlery is the fact that it has an extremely thin blade. This will allow you to cut thin slices of fruits and vegetables whenever it is needed, all without having to put too much effort into the task.
- When slicing certain fruits and vegetables with steel knives, you will notice that their oxidation process is rushed, thus meaning that they rot faster. This isn’t the case with ceramic models because unlike steel blades, they don’t transfer ions from the surface of the blade to the fruits or vegetables, thus not affecting the oxidation process.
- Of course, we can’t end our list of reasons why this is an investment worth making without mentioning the fact that this type of cutlery is non-porous. This is an important advantage because it shows that bacteria won’t be present on the blade no matter what you cut with the knife as long as you clean it when you’re done using it.
Of course, we can’t pretend like everything is perfect because these knives have their set of flaws as well. Due to the fact that we want for you to be satisfied with the investment that you make, we are going to walk you through the downsides as well:
- Unfortunately, due to the fact that ceramic is a brittle material, if you’re not careful when you use the tool, the blade might break.
- Another notable downside is the fact that you will have a harder time finding a sharpener that is able to restore the razor sharpness of the blade. Nonetheless, it’s not impossible to find such a product, the Shenzhen Knives SZSHARP being an ideal electric knife sharpener to use for this task, for example.
- The final disadvantage of ceramic cutlery is the fact that it can’t be used to cut through meat with bones or frozen food. If you do this, you might end up breaking the blade.
Our advice is for you to take your chance and invest in a top tier model such as the Kyocera FK-180 BK or any other product in our top because they are very sharp, safe to use, they look great, and they will resist perfectly throughout the years.
Care and Maintenance Advice
Although these knives are highly durable and they preserve their sharpness longer when compared to metal knives, this doesn’t mean that there’s no maintenance work with them. Seeing how they are a considerable investment if you do buy such cutlery and you purchase high-end products, it’s important for you to know more about their care and maintenance rituals. Therefore, if you want to learn how to care for a ceramic knife and keep it in the best shape possible for a long time.
Proper Storing of the Knives
How to Sharpen a Dull Blade
General Care Tips
If you have already explored the ceramic knife market, what you have probably noticed is that a big part of these cutleries come with plastic blade guards or plastic sleeves. These items come with the knives because if the blades aren’t protected when they are stored in the utensils drawer, they might enter into contact with metal knives and their blades could chip. Of course, the classic wooden block works just as well when it comes to keeping the blades isolated from items that might damage them, so there are enough options for you to choose from when it comes to the proper storage of ceramic cutlery.
The blades of ceramic knives might keep their sharpness 10 times longer than those of metal knives, but this doesn’t mean that their razor sharpness is preserved forever without your intervention. When you do notice that the blade starts to lose its quality, the time comes for you to sharpen them. Because of the hardness of the ceramic material, it’s a bit harder to restore their sharpness, but it’s not impossible. The classic method that you can turn to is to use a honing steel and manually sharpen the blades. If you like the more modern approach, search for an electric knife sharpener that is compatible with ceramic cutlery. Using an electric sharpener means that you will be done with the task in less time and with a lot less effort put into the process.
When it comes to how you should care for these knives, you are in luck as they are not very pretentious. Ceramic knives, just like all knives out there, require being washed after you use them. Although some models are dishwasher safe, we still recommend that you wash them by hand using dish detergent and warm water as this method doesn’t subject the blade to any danger of breaking.
Another care tip that you must follow when using ceramic cutlery is to never cut your food with them on any other surface except for bamboo cutting boards. The soft texture of the bamboo boards will keep the blades of the knives better protected, preventing chipping from occurring. Also, there’s another reasoning behind why you should use bamboo boards, more precisely because they don’t preserve bacteria, thus meaning that your food doesn’t get cross-contaminated when you chop, dice, mince, or cut it.
Ceramic Cutlery Uses
To use the ceramic knife to its fullest extent, you must know for what type of use the cutlery is actually designed. Thus, we have listed below the tasks where you can use this high-end kitchen tool:
- Fine slicing of cheese;
- Fine slicing of meat;
- Fine vegetable chopping;
- Preparation of sushi and sashimi;
- Slicing, cutting, and chopping lime, lemons, and other highly acidic foods;
- Slicing, cutting, dicing, chopping, and mincing various foods without having to wash the knife’s blade when switching from one type of food to another.
As you can see, there are many uses to take up with ceramic cutlery, so there’s no denying the fact that having such a knife in your kitchen is a great advantage. Next, we will present exactly how the cutlery serves when it comes to home use and how it comes in handy when it’s in the hands of a professional chef.
- Home use – Undeniably, the ceramic knife is a great choice when it comes to performing regular cooking in the kitchen. Although it has its downsides, not being recommended for cutting through bones or other tasks of this kind, it’s necessary nonetheless as it presents a more convenient, safe, and healthy method of dealing with fine slicing of fruits, vegetables, and meat. Additionally, due to the fact that it doesn’t preserve the odors and bacteria on the blade after using it, you won’t lose a lot of time washing it when you’re cooking. Also, it means that you won’t have to switch between different knives either as a single ceramic one suffices for almost everything that needs to be done in the kitchen.
- Professional use – What professional chefs appreciate about ceramic cutlery is their longevity and versatility in use. When it comes to the longevity aspect, considering the fact that the knife doesn’t rust, it means that it doesn’t need to be replaced. Also, the superior sharpness retention of the blade ensures that the chef won’t have to resharpen the knife too often, regardless of how often it is used. When talking about the versatility of the cutlery, what chefs appreciate the most is the fact that they can switch from slicing a lime directly to slicing meat, for example, all without having to waste time washing the knife or change it with another one. This helps save a lot of time in the kitchen, time that can be used by a professional to prepare a dish to perfection.
Best Brands on the Market
People are more inclined to buy a product that is manufactured by a certain brand if that brand is renowned for its seriousness and dedication. This is an understandable attitude and one that everyone should have as the truth is that certain brands do indeed deliver higher quality products that others. To find out what are these reliable brands to purchase from when it comes to ceramic cutlery, read the following lines.
Kyocera is a brand that you have undoubtedly already heard of as it has been around for over 80 years, producing excellent quality electronics and ceramics since it started activating. With such a generous background, it’s more than clear that the brand has peaked and maintained the interest of customers in order to activate at such a high level for all of these years. The ceramics that it produces, including knives, of course, are of a superior quality, providing dependability and durability to those who invest in them. As long as you stick to buying from such a respectable and trusted manufacturer, you are ensured to invest your money wisely.
Shan Zu is most probably a company that you haven’t heard about yet as it has started activated in 2016. Despite the fact that age isn’t on this company’s side, this doesn’t take away from the manufacturer’s merits when it comes to the products that it has managed to release up to this point on the market. What amazes about this brand is the fact that it got a head start despite its incredibly young age due to the fact that it designed and manufactured one of the best quality ceramic knives out there, the Shan Zu SZCK009. If the company manages to put just as much seriosity and hard work into all of the products that it releases from now on, not much time will pass until it becomes a household name.
Vos Knife is a brand that has managed to reach the top of the market fast and stay there through pure hard work and passion. The attention to detail and the fact that the company focuses on delivering durable products is what made it gain such a massive success. Another reason why this brand is doing a lot better than its competitors is the fact that it doesn’t shy away from diversity, designing and manufacturing a wide range of ceramic cutlery, each of them coming with their own set of uses and advantages. This versatility is what keeps customers loyal to the brand and what makes the company such an immense success of the ceramic knife market.